Friday, September 6, 2013

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

Hey all! Long time no anything. How was everyone's summer? As you may have guessed, mine's been crazy busy. (Well, crazy anyway.) Here are some...uh...high points.

At the beginning of the summer, we found this Cooper's Hawk limping around our yard.

He was wet. It just wasn't his day.
Poor thing. We brought him to a lovely lady that rehabs birds in her spare time. (Seriously, she's got an x-ray machine in her barn.) She said it looked like he'd been hit by a car, which apparently isn't unusual for the species because of the way they hunt. After a brief exam, she proclaimed that, despite his broken wing, he could be cured and would be released back into the wild roughly six weeks hence.

Good deed done.

Midsummer, we took the kids on a vacation. Since we hadn't vacationed for many a year, they weren't too picky about the fact that we were six people crammed into a six hundred square foot cabin with the world's smallest shower stall and no internet. Since we had borrowed said cabin from my sister for nothing but the cleaning fee, I wasn't too picky either.

It was near the beach. We were happy.

Then it got hot. Like, really hot. The hottest week of the year hot. We went to the movies and saved the beach for the evenings, because honestly. Hot.

Advantages of going to Maine beaches in the evening: Less sunblock. More stuff to find on the beach. Clams. No sunburn. Sand dollars. And this one time, when we swam where the jetties sheltered the harbor, harbor seals. Harbor seals.

There were a few times we went during the day and there were these amazing tidal pools with more hermit crabs than you could count, which made sunburn worth the risk. (Look, we're pale people. Sunblock only delays the inevitable.)

All in all, very fun. But if we go back, I'll be bringing an air conditioner.

We ended the summer on a down note, when my middle son was diagnosed with mild Asperger's. It was something we kind of already knew, but still sucks to have confirmed. Though now that we have a diagnosis, we can get him the therapies he needs, so it's all to the good.

Plus, the kids are all back in school now, and all the writing and online socializing and writing and reading and writing I missed during the summer can now be accomplished. If I can stop listening to this song.

Royals by Lorde on Grooveshark

And this cover.

Get Lucky (Daftpunk Cover by Daughter on Grooveshark

How did you all spend your summers? What'd I miss?

13 comments:

  1. You have a cool spinning music thingy! You're so technologically advanced.

    We moved into our beach house the last day of that god-awful heat wave and it sucked a lot. But then everything was quite lovely at the Jersey shore, although not as much wildlife spotting as yours. Harbor seals. I'm jealous.

    As the mother of two kids with autism/Asperger's I feel your...pain seems too strong. Sadness? Fear? Disappointment? Worry? Maybe all, or none, of that. What I do know is that I like a diagnosis that everyone can agree on, because my boys need accommodations in school and life in order to be successful. So I'm happy you all have that piece of the puzzle.

    The rest of the boys start school on Monday, so let the writing begin!

    Missed you!

    (And hey, don't you have a birthday soon? Or did you already? So many Virgos...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worry, definitely. More than the usual mom worry. *sigh*

      (And yes, soon. :) )

      Delete
  2. Glad to have you back! And glad that you had a cool and mostly interesting summer. (Yay for helping out the hawk!)

    It's good that you at least have a diagnosis so now you can get your son what he needs. Sorry that he has to deal with that, though.

    My summer has mostly been boring due to my lack of going outside and enjoying the sunshine we had that now seems gone (dumb dumb dumb!). But I have a part-time freelance job, so that's good.

    Looking forward to more posts by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for jobs! (But please do try to get out side. We worry about you.)

      Delete
  3. You know me. Crazy summer, fun and not fun. Lots of rain and not enough writing. But I loved PEI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PEI looked gorgeous in those pictures. :D

      Delete
  4. I switched on summer from a slot machine. But then I can get what I want when I want it. I can get anything.

    Glad you're back. Missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - Cat Stevens reference. Where do the children play?

      Delete
  5. You know what I've been up to. So I was super glad to see what YOU had been doing. Missed you tons, love the spinny music gizmo, my love and support for the boy diagnosis. (Those of us on the spectrum can totally make use of labels.)

    You're a brilliant woman, an outstanding mom, and have such a phenomenal back-up system in place, this will be a breeze! (Ha, you know what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliepants! (That's catchy. I'm gonna call you that from now on, okay? Good.)

      Yeah, I totally have this handled. *fakes it*

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back. :)

    Glad to hear the injured hawk is fixable and will be released.

    I know the Asperger's diagnosis is upsetting--anything that will potentially make a child's life more difficult is--but facing a problem with knowledge is always better than floundering. It's still a punch in the gut, though, and I'm sorry you're going through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda.

      On a happier note, your book launch signing pics looked awesomely fun! :D

      Delete

Go ahead and leave a comment. No one will judge you for being a robot.